The Artificers' Guild was founded in 1901 by Nelson Dawson, with Edward Spencer (1873 - 1938) as the principal designer. In 1903 Montague Fordham took control of the company and promoted Edward Spencer to be director of the guild's workshops. The Guild employed over 40 staff at its peak and holds a collection around 2000 design drawings, many of them signed by Spencer.