Cut-Glass Claret Jug with Gilt Bronze Eagle Head SpoutBy Murano, read more.
About this piece
Murano, Venice. Probably 1868
The flattened round body standing on a gilt bronze plinth with a long neck surmounted by a gilt bronze eagle head spout. The body decorated with wheel-engraved swags and the Foscari coat of arms flanked by entwined palm leaves.
An identical claret jug is held in the collection of the Murano Museum of Glass in Venice; inscribed on the side of this ewer are the initials AF. Initial research by Vincent Lazzari attributed these initials to Alvise Foscari, who he believed to be Doge of Venice between 1735 and 1741. However, the Doge at that time was in fact Alvise Pisani - the only Foscari Doge was Francesco Foscari (1373-1457).
The long-reigning Francesco Foscari (1373-1457) commanded vast respect throughout Venice. His reign as Doge was brought to an end when the Council of Ten forced him to resign in 1741 after his son Jacopo was exiled from Venice on charges of bribery and corruption. Despite the disrepute this caused, when Francesco died a week later there was a city wide outcry and he was given a state funeral as a mark of respect. That respect, as well as the family wealth, did not diminish.
According to Vladimir Rusca of the Murano Museum of Glass, the Foscari family commissioned two of these claret jugs in 1868. That same year, the Foscari family donated to the city their palace (Ca' Foscari) on the Grand Canal to become the Regia Scuola Superiore di Commercio (Royal High School of Commerce). It is possible that these claret jugs were commissioned to mark the significance of this event.
H 46 cm x W 20.5 cm x D 10.5 cm
H 18" x W 8" x D 4"